School is almost back in session and students across the country will soon be packing up their cars and heading off to college. If you are searching for that perfect gift for the college-bound kid in your life, put together a roadside emergency kit.
A roadside kit is easy to assemble, not too expensive and extremely useful, plus it could be a life saver in the event of an emergency. While it’s always a good idea to be prepared for the unexpected while on the road, the best option is to avoid breakdowns and car trouble wherever possible. Performing basic maintenance and observing a regular service schedule can help avoid unforeseen road emergencies.
Roadside emergency items can fit into a small duffle bag or rubber storage tote and include the following:
- Jumper cables
- Emergency flares
- Flashlight with batteries
- Blankets and extra clothes
- Non-perishable snacks and bottled water
- First aid kit, including essential medications
- Portable USB charger to keep the cell phone running even if the car is not
- Ice scraper, snow brush and small shovel for winter driving